Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Watercolors on Canvas

I have been a professional artist for 19 years, focusing on the landscapes and seascapes of Northern California, with occasional diversions to other local. I started as a transparent watercolorist, and eventually moved into oils and acrylics.

Recently however, I discovered a new canvas that allowed the use of transparent watercolors. This allowed the marriage of watercolors with some of the oil and acrylic techniques I had learned. The look of the canvas is more like an oil, the texture of the surface and the way it wraps around the thick edge of the wooden canvas frame. I show them unframed, called a "gallery wrap", which means they can be hung as is, or framed. Traditional watercolors need a frame and glass to protect them. These new surfaces are coated to protect them from accidental water spills or spots, and the sun of course.

I do not mix media on my watercolor canvas, so they are truly transparent watercolors.

No comments: